Every wedding day we shoot starts like this: I walk in, meet all of the bridesmaids + groomsmen, squeeze the heck out of the bride and groom and get right to work photographing details. Details are such a calm, creative way for me to start the day! This is my warm up time where I really get into the flow of how to best to serve my couples on their big day!
So, what are “details”??? Details are any part of your day, big or small, that you’ll be mailing, wearing or carrying. (Don’t worry, I’ve got a list coming up in a little bit for you! And if you’re a #LytleBride, you’ll be getting an email checklist long before your wedding day to help you remember all of these things!)
Detail shots help give the full picture of your wedding day in your wedding album. Wedding days seem to fly by in a blur and it’s so easy to forget about the small details that were essential to making your wedding day just perfect! That’s a big part of the reason that we think this part of the day is so important. The “small” things of your day deserve to have a big spotlight, especially after all the time you spend curating + pinterest pinning + working on them!
– Dress + Shoes – You know I love a good dress shot! After all the time you spent picking THE ONE, you better have some amazing pictures of it after your day is over!
– Bouquet – The floral aspect of a wedding is HUGE! They’re typically something that ties all of your colors together, and was a large investment for you! It’s so important to make sure you have them there at the start of your day so that they can be incorporated into your detail shots!
– Jewelry – Necklace, bracelet, earrings, etc.
– Hair piece or Veil – Styling details with your veil is a major favorite of mine! I love the texture and dimension the look of a veil adds to images!
– Old, New, Borrowed, Blue – This isn’t a tradition that everyone follows. If you do, make sure to have all of the items with you!
– Full Invitation Suite – From your Save the Date to your RSVP card, you invitation is what starts the tone of your whole wedding, long before your wedding day even comes! Be sure to bring 2 sets if you have things printed on the front and the back!
– Sentimental Items – (Ex: an heirloom ring, a picture of a loved one, something from your mom’s wedding, etc.)
– Letter/Gift from Groom
– ALL THREE RINGS!!!! – This one is a big one!! I love to style all 3 rings together in your detail shots, but so often the grooms ring is at a different location! Be sure to have all of the rings together and with the bride!!
Let’s be sure we don’t forget the groom! His details tell a big part of your wedding story as well! If the bride and groom are getting ready in the same location I’ll take all of the detail shots at once! If they’re getting ready at separate locations, Jesse will get the grooms detail shots! Grooms seem to have less details than Brides do, but they’re still such an important part of your day!
– Cuff links
– Letter/Gift from Bride
We always recommend that our couples gather all of the details ahead of time and put them all in one place, in a box or bag, so that you don’t have to scramble to find them on the wedding day! This will make your day so much less stressful!!
Leveling up your details:
If you’re looking to add something extra to your wedding day details here are some ideas for you, along with some incredible vendors and companies to help you in your search!!
– Ribbon: Native Ribbon Co.
– Ring Box: The Mrs. Box
– Custom Invitations: RSVP Love, Heatherly Design Co.
– Calligraphy: Caitlin Jane Calligraphy
– Dress Hanger: You can find ones that say, “Bride” “Mrs”, or get a super customized one with your new last name or wedding date! Etsy is a great place for stuff like this!!
– Custom postage stamps/wax seals: Another great addition for your invitations! And if you add them to your invitations be sure to bring extra for your detail shots!
– Vow book: Our Vows, The Keeper Co.
If you enjoyed this post, head over to our “For the Bride” section to see more tips, trick and helpful info for planning your wedding day!